Report: ICTFC 0-1 Dundee United

Paul McMullan’s first half penalty was enough for Dundee United to earn victory over the Caley Jags.

Inverness played well for large parts of the game but just lacked that final ball and real cutting edge to get themselves on the score-sheet.

Inverness started well with George Oakley having the first real chance of the match, as he was played in at an awkward angle but his close range shot was gathered by Southampton loanee Harry Lewis.

Inverness’s bright start was short lived as United were awarded a penalty kick. Brad Mckay took down United’s frontman Paul McMullan, and he stepped up and sent Mark Ridgers the wrong way.

John Robertson was sent to the stands in the aftermath of the penalty incident as he refused to give the ball back.

Sam Stanton raced clean through and was stopped in his tracks by great tracking back by Iain Vigurs.

Riccardo Calder was having the beating of Lewis Toshney down the left hand side as he continued to put dangerous balls in the box. Calder then took on Toshney and put his effort just over the bar.

Brad Mckay almost levelled the game just before half-time, as his header met a dangerous cross from Iain Vigurs.

Ross Draper was then booked alongside Tam Scobbie after an incident in the box where Draper went down under a challenge.

Second Half

ICTFC again started the half well and Polworth sliced an effort wide from eight yards after John Baird knocked down a throw in from Raven.

Riccardo Calder was then clattered by Lewis Toshney and had to be subbed for Jake Mulraney, as he couldn’t continue.

Mulraney also made an instant impact but his cross was caught by the impressive Harry Lewis.

Liam Polworth then had one of ICTFC’s best chances of the second half as he unleashed a strike which just went over the bar.

Mulraney then weaved his way into the box and went down under a challenge but referee Craig Thomson gave nothing.

With twenty minutes to go, David Raven was presented with the ball on the edge of the box but he dragged his shot wide.

United then had the best chance of the second half, James Keatings raced clear of the Inverness defence but was stopped in his tracks by Mark Ridgers, however, his clearance fell to Sam Stanton but he blasted his shot well over in front of a gaping open goal.

Baird was replaced by Connor Bell with fifteenth minutes to go, and then Raven blocked a close range effort from Paul McMullan to keep United’s lead at one going into the final 10 minutes.

Zschusschen came on for the closing stages of the match while Willo Flood came on to shore things up for United.

United held on to get the vital three points on the opening day of the season however ICTFC was the better side for large portions of the first and second half.

There’s slight concern about a lack of cutting edge upfront as despite dominating possession, we failed to test young Harry Lewis too much.


ICTFC: Ridgers, Raven, Elsdon, Mckay, Chalmers, Draper, Vigurs, Polworth, Clader (Mulraney 55), Baird (Bell 74), Oakley (Zschusschen 84)

Unused Subs: Esson, Cooper. Macdonald

United: Lewis, Toshney, Edjenguele, Scobbie, Robson, Allardice (Keatings 66), Stanton, Fraser (Flood 86), King, Briels, McMullan


3 Points: Vigurs

2 Points: Calder

1 Point: Raven


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s